Sunday, April 19, 2015

Typhoon

Everything seemed to happen on the one night a week I was in charge of the flight because our flight chief had the night off. A typhoon hit shortly after dark one night. The Officer of the Day made the decision to pull all the dogs off post because they would be ineffective and the dogs and handlers would be at risk of injury. The OOD, along with the Night Supervisor, also decided that 5 people from each flight should stay at the kennels to take care of the dogs in the event that the kennels got damaged. One person was required to stay awake and alert the others if something happened requiring help. The other flight chief chose 5 guys he did not like and he left with the night supervisor for the barracks.

I, on the other hand, asked for volunteers. I had more than I needed volunteer and I chose my three roommates and one other to stay with me. Yes, I could have left just like the other supervisors. If I was not willing to stay, why should I ask anyone else to stay? We discussed what we wanted to do for the rest of the night. Soon I was in my jeep headed back to the barracks. I picked up some board games, cards, sodas, and snacks.  No one slept that night and all of us had a fun time.

2 comments:

  1. Another wonderful example of your great management style, Russ! Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this to Jim. He, too, enjoyed your ingenuity.

    ReplyDelete